Monday, July 19, 2010

Are any of you like me?

While putting on my makeup this morning I had an out-of-the-blue flashback to Jr. High Saturday nights (yikes!!). While all of my girlfriends were hanging out at that movies (no videos or DVDs back then), I was home with some of my best friends: dark blue eye shadow, light blue shimmering eye shadow, dark blue eye liner (on the lower inside lid - so 80’s!), and bright high-shine lip gloss. And with a sweep of blush up the cheekbones I was ready for my night IN!! Posing for the photographer-in-the-mirror and Sucking in my cheeks, I will take self portrait photos of an awkward adolescent with my Kodak Instamatic; those were the days of innocent images + cube flashes. I loved documenting time + beauty then, and I do so even more now.


Today I’m looking in the mirror once again, but it’s not a Saturday night, it’s Friday morning and I’m no longer 12 - I’m 42! 6:00 am and the little ones are around the knees needing this an that. I can’t sneak away to the upstairs bathroom but why would I want to? I’m a mature woman looking back on life and I’ve finally realized that I have all that I ever wanted: precious children, my best friend-husband, and life long friends (and of course long legs). It’s my joy to photograph women where they are in life, seeing how beautiful we are at every stage. Maybe it’s time for another self portrait. Hmmmm...stay tunes to this Bat channel, the story is to be continued!!!


Did you sit at home in front of the mirror as a teenager? Please write to us tell all about it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment